Friday 26 December 2014

Crazy new chapter

I hope you all lovely readers had an amazing Christmas this year!

My favorite Christmas gift has to be a nursing graduate year opportunity that I leapt at. I am so excited!!



Like, this excited. 



So on the 21st day of Christmas I got a call from a dear friend of mine who went to sign some paperwork in the country hospital she has a graduate job at and she was told to tell her friends that there were some positions available around the area. I contacted them that day and was given a number to call of an aged care facility the next town. I called them the very next day and thanks to my wonderful family I drove down there on the 23rd for an interview... of sorts. They seemed pretty keen to have me, that might have also been due to fact that the program starts at the beginning of February. I left that day with a uniform to take home so I feel that was the best interviews I have ever been to.

Long story short, in 2 days I went from depressed and unsure of what I was going to do. To having 1 month to move 5 hours away from home for a graduate job. Eek!! Feeling the stress at the moment that is for sure. Both excited and terrified.


Ahhhhh. Like that. 

So this will be my first time moving out and I need to find a place to live, get a car loan to buy a car, buy a fridge, you know, all of these adult things that I didn't really expect to be doing so soon!

The program is mainly based in aged care, something that has a little bit of a social stigma around it. Many nurses I have encountered refer to it as the "nurses graveyard where your clinical skills go to die". This doesn't really seem to be the case though, sure the RN's in a nursing home look like they give out medications and do paperwork but that paperwork is what is bringing the money into the home.

I feel this might be linked to the issue in health care that everyone working there has to have a 'rank'. You know, doctors over nurses, nurses over carers sort of thing. It is a little bit of bullshit though, everyone is working together for the same goal, to improve the patients health. They have different roles and having one without the other means that the job is not going to get done. Might as well be playing surgeon simulator if you wanna pull that rank shit.


No Doctor, you are doing a great job.


So this is a crazy new chapter in my life, I am really looking forward to time alone doing what I want and living under my own terms. Naturally though, I have my doubts. All I can do is have faith in my own abilities to survive and it will all work out, right?

I feel I might be updating this blog some more as I progress through this year! Not only because I have plans for my art with all the alone time I will be getting, but because writing it here helps me put sense to how I feel about it all. It also makes me happy to feel like I am sending my small message in a bottle of my feelings and that on occasion, people are reading it.

Wish me luck guys!

Havra




No comments:

Post a Comment